For Historical Interest


I'm moving house this weekend and have no kitchen and no internet, so I'm at a local bubble-tea place called Tropioca - cooling off, rehydrating, checking email, etc. I thought I would share this picture from 1958-60.

I scanned it from my folks' photo album last weekend - it's my mom. The sewing machine is an old British-made Singer that my parents bought at the PX when they were living in British Guiana. My mom was one of only about 6 women there, and maybe the only one who could sew. While my dad was stationed there the military started allowing the men to wear civilian clothes when they were off-duty. None of the men had civilian clothes, and the PX didn't have anything. Some of the men wore pajama tops as shirts and everyone knew what they were, but no one said anything because they were all pretty much in the same boat. Except my dad, because my mom made him snazzy shirts. And my mom's mom worked at an upscale men's clothing store in downtown Dallas and would send stuff. My dad was stylin'!

My mom and the commander's wife did not get along, but the commander's wife still tried to get my mom to make some shirts for him. My mom in her younger days was possibly even more stubborn than I am, so needless to say the commander was hanging out in pajama tops.

Okay, I've finished my sandwich, so I'd best get home and back to packing. Stay cool and drink water y'all!