Double Retro...

Double Retro? thats when you use a pattern that is technically 'retro' (over 10 years old), but was also referencing a retro style in itself. I bought this Anna Sui / Vogue pattern in 1997, and it is a very sweet, 50s dress. Cap sleeves, with elastic for a bit of poufiness, pencil skirt, and, at the back... nothing!

To be honest, I didn't understand this pattern when I bought it, I just thought the back had some kind of tie-detail as the illustration was a little unclear. I love this back-less-ness now though. It is very sexy, and super-cute. The only trouble is figuring out the bra situation... because I need one! I am working with a Thread article on creating bra-type support by using bra-cups and elastic that goes around your shoulder (basically hidden under the sleeve). Untill I figure this out I can't finish the dress, as Im hoping I can hid most of the bra contraption in the lining...

FAbric is from Liberty's and my mother bought it for me BEFORE I bought the pattern... so I'm guessing it is about 15 years old itself.

This was originally going to be my Coachella dress, but now I'll settle for my summer in the city / Tennessee Williams frock instead.

Ciao