Child's Shirt

I finished off the first of my summer projects yesterday, a shirt for my 4 year old using this pattern.



It's Simplicity 2049, there's no date on it but I'm thinking 50's maybe? I'd love to know where I can find out dates of patterns if anyone can point me to a good source! Despite the cover being in very bad shape all the pieces are intact and none were ripped until my clumsy hands got onto the collar piece....

This is the finished shirt from the front:



and from the back:



Details I love inclue the really pointy collar and the yoke at the back. The only changes I made were to not face the yoke (did't have enough fabric!) and to skip the very top button which would have been on the folded down parts of the collar and instead add it to the bottom of the shirt. I think the design intends for the shirt to be tucked in as the buttons stop quite high, but we don't do tucking in around here.

The fabric is a Timeless Treasures one, I got just under a yard of it from someone who was clearing out their stash so I only paid postage on it. My son claimed the fabric as soon as it came into the house (it was intended for him anyway!) and said that he liked the pattern when I showed it to him. I love the way that he accepts my making clothes for him as being nothing unusal and that already he's giving me input on what he wants and what fabrics he wants me to use, we have pyjama and t-shirt fabric picked out waiting to go that he chose out of the stash himself! He wore the shirt today and we all liked the way it looked and it seemed quite cool on what was a very hot day.

Next up are pyjamas for my husband from the same period, they're waiting to be cut out but it's too hot to think still so I will do it tomorrow!

Anna