That 70s Dress


I can't remember where I got this pattern (probably from a lot on ebay or from the Sally Ann), but it's been sitting around for a while now, waiting to be made. The pattern was unused and came with a special (new at the time) feature: 2 sizes in one envelope! Although it's not my usual style or era in terms of vintage clothing, I had the perfect fabric in my overflowing stash, so I decided to make it.
(Making this dress was also the perfect way to procrastinate from a much more important sewing project - a dress for my Dad's wedding. Does anyone else have the strange need to start a completely new, and unnecessary, project when they have a very limited deadline on another project? In my case it seemed to work, as both dresses are done, with 2 whole days before I fly to Vancouver for the wedding.)
Here's the front:


The yellow and orange fabric is from a bed sheet I bought at a garage sale years ago. The blue fabric was a gift for my roommate. She finished her project and luckily there was enough left for me to use as contrast. I omitted the pockets from the original and cut the skirt front in one piece, but other than that everything is unaltered.
Here you can see the back:
I couldn't decide what colour buttons to use. I didn't want them to blend in with the contrast or with the main colours and didn't want to introduce a new colour, so I stacked small blue buttons with bigger (15mm) orange buttons.


I think this will be my "I refuse to accept the end of summer" dress. I shall wear it with sandals, without a cardigan and ride my bike, ignoring the stares of those who will already be wearing scarves.