Shari Dress, Front view


Shari Dress, Front view, originally uploaded by scarlettquilts.

I thought I had posted this but found out I put it on another blog----yikes! So I deleted that entry and am now tardy in posting this dress. I am posting it here because although it is not a vintage dress, it does have a 40's feel to it.

It is Burda 7951, the Shari dress. You can download the pattern at Burdastyle.com or order it at patternreview or pick it up at Joann's.

This is the largest size, 48. It is made of red corduroy and a blue polyester remnant I bought at Joann's. The majority was sewn on a Janome MC90000. What was especially helpful was the piping foot I ordered from Sears (don't tell my Janome dealer). If only I had that foot when I made the piping. It worked better than my zipper foot for the invisible zipper too.

I took up the hem using the dress form and it turned out better than if I just measured from the bottom. I sewed a blind hem using the Singer Rocketeer and it did a dandy job but I think I will need to take it in for a good oiling and adjustment. It sews a great sttich but I had a hard time adjusting to the foot pedal it uses and the feed dogs are not as elaborate as my Janome's so I had to "steer" more than I was used to.