vintage made (accidentally) modern

I liberated this 1975 Style pattern from my mum's collection because I really liked the neckline and arm bands. My mum made this in the 1970s from a floral cotton which she probably wore with wedge shoes not dissimilar to those on the pattern model. I decided to use a stretch cotton in black with a fine white pinstripe from my stash, because I thought it would nicely contrast the neckline and arm bands by cutting them on the horizontal whilst the bodice was cut on the vertical. I also ditched the puffy sleeves and recut the skirt into a pencil skirt because the fabric was too stiff to hang the way a flared skirt should, and these modifications combined with the fabric choice unexpectedly gave the dress a much more modern feel:
















Worn with a red belt and red shoes (which look great but really really hurt) it has a very corporate feel and is perfect for work.




More details of this and the other projects occupying my waking hours can be found on my blog.