Dress Fail: Marian Martin 9253


I am posting this as a Fail!, though not an irretrievable one, since it might still be usable to somebody else.

I won this on eBay a few months ago. The seller was a little unclear on sizing and, as you can see, the eBay camera watermark obscured the size stamp. I got most of the way through and was thinking, "Gee--that looks a little short-waisted." Actually, it looked a lot short-waisted, but I was optimistic.

Optimism lasted until I got down to the buttons and the hem, tried it on, and realized that the "natural" waistline was around my ribs. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a half-sized pattern, intended for mature but petite women. I haven't been petite since I was eleven years old (and I'm long-waisted), so it's a whole lot short.

I am keeping the pattern and plan to do a re-draft on the bodice to see if I can get it to fix my dachshund-figured self, but this particular incarnation of it will do me no good. If you are a vintage size 18 (bust 36, waist 29-ish, hips 39) but 5'2" or shorter and would be interested in trying to salvage the dress, visit my profile and drop me a line. It needs buttons, buttonholes, hemming, a belt, and some general finishing work, but it's not mangled and I was very pleased with how it was turning out right up until I discovered that the belt would be up under my chin. I can't stand to have unfinished projects lying around, and it does not deserve to be cut up for quilt scraps.

It's in a good-quality Moda quilting cotton, rust-colored and dark brown calico. More pictures of the fabric on my Flickr set.

* * * * * * *

Measurements:
Bust: 36"
Waist: 31"
Shoulder-to-waist: 15"