Refashioned 1970s Thrift Store Find

I found this 1970's formal in a thrift store. It had this shiny silver top and polyester plaid knit skirt and jacket. The top was too tight, and I can't imagine wearing it anywhere anyway. It was floor length. The jacket wouldn't close and was long sleeve. So I decided to modernize it a bit. I separated the top from the skirt, sewed a zipper in the back, shortened the length to just above the knee. I shortened the sleeves on the jacket, and took out the bust gathers so it would close. And voila, there you have it, a new outfit for me. Hope you like it!











This is before I released the bust gathers.




The jacket was too small. It would not close all of the way. There was a four-inch gap. So I unpicked the band at the bottom and released the bust gathers. Then I sewed the band back on. And now I am able to close it all of the way and tie it.




I cut off part of the sleeves and hemmed them to make them shorter.





This is a skirt from the 1970's that I found at a thrift store. It is floor length. I'm just not sure what to do with it yet, if anything.




This is a preview of my next post.

You can visit me at Sewing With Trudy.