Butterick Vintage Reprint 4792

Hello Sew Retro! I'm Hanna, and I have been reading Sew Retro for about six months now. I started dressmaking properly about 18 months ago and in that time I have made two (non-vintage) skirts and two dresses from vintage reprint patterns. I made over a vintage skirt that I bought, and I have also acquired several vintage patterns than I hope to make and share with you.

For now, I wanted to show you my attempt at Butterick 4792, a reprint of a 1957 pattern for a full-skirted dress with an interesting halter-style neckline.

I made it in a pink polkadot cotton which was quite cheap (just as well at over 4 metres for the dress alone) and quite stiff, although that may come out when it's washed. The stiffness is good at the moment because it makes the skirt look nice and full even without the optional net underskirt.

I made a size 8, and found it fit me perfectly. Even on the bust I only had a little bit of excess fabric, which made a nice change from usual! I like this style because the shape of the bodice and the extra fabric up there help to create the illusion of the kind of fifties hourglass figure that I certainly don't have!