Hello!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Julia and I'm very pleased at last to have the courage to post here at Sew Retro, having been lurking around for a long time!

I am a fellow sewing fanatic living in the UK, and with a penchant for the styles and elegance of the 50's and 60's - think Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn. Last year I learned how to cut my own patterns and have been sewing up my own designs ever since.

I have a sewing blog, "House of Marmalade" which celebrates vintage style. This is my third year of blogging and during 2010 I will be really focussing on design and pattern cutting, inspired by all the vintage patterns I have been drooling over on the internet! My latest post HERE describes my aims!

The latest project I completed (and blogged about!) was a party dress for the festive season. I like to think it had a retro feel inspired by the glamorous girls in Elvis movies! (or is it because when this pic was taken, Elvis was on the radio?!)... It is a strapless dress with an inner corsolette to keep everything in place! You can see the story of it's construction by clicking the picture.

My favourite sewing passion is corsetry. I started serious sewing by making corsets, and this love soon extended to general dress making with a particular interest in technicalities of bust fitting- I find it so impossible to find clothes that fit in this area! I have written lots of blog posts about corsetry which you can see by clicking HERE.

I also run an online shop called Sew Curvy Corsetry which sells corset kits and components! I want to share my passion with anyone who has ever fancied making a corset but isn't too sure where to start. I even have a corset kit for men!

I would love you to pop over and visit my blog where you will find lots of hints and tips along with my daily musings on life, The sewing universe, and everything ... Thanks for reading and nice to meet you!