Butterick 6914

The pattern:



Front view of the finished product:



Back view of the finished product:



This great variation of the classic walk-away dress was pretty easy to sew. Of course binding everything with bias tape took some time, but I have a tendency to do that to pretty much every garment I make to protect the hem, so it wasn't too bad. The only tiresome bit was putting bias tape on the collar. The yellow satin fabric really had a life of it's own, which it made sure to point out as soon as I placed the pattern pieces on it - I'll never use that kind of satin again! After using about a gallon of water to steam the collar into shape, I finally won. The fabric used for the skirt and the midriff is some kind of synthetic wool blend and was as easy to work with as the satin was difficult :)

Tip: I recently bought another Butterick wrap dress pattern, probably from the same year. This one also has a somewhat square neckline bound with bias binding and it calls for a facing. I highly suggest making a facing for Butterick 6914, the collar just isn't that stable by itself. I'mcurrently considering re-doing it myself.