Introduction

Hi! I've been reading Sew Retro for months, and now that I'm actually doing some blogging of my own, I thought I'd join as a poster. My name is Sophie. I regularly blog at FilASewphie. FilASewphie is a name my mother and twin sister made up. Fil is French for thread. A means (or can mean) of. Sewphie should be obvious--if not, I took my name, Sophie, and I replaced the So with Sew. The entire title makes up the word "philosophy," and anyone who knows me knows I love philosophy.

A few summers ago, while spending a vacation at my grandfather's house, I discovered my late grandmother's pattern stash. I took about 50 of them home with me, so a good deal of my sewing is now done from vintage patterns. Here are a couple of the dresses I've made:

Simplicity 9863:


Butterick 4790 (a reprint of an older pattern):

And a skirt for my little sister, based on Simplicity 7640:That last skirt doesn't look much like the original--we had some fitting problems, and this turned out to be the easiest way to fix them without having to take out every single pleat and start over.

I'm glad to join the team! I don't always sew vintage, nor do I attempt to, but I'm happy to share my dabblings in the world of retro fashion.

Sophie