Grandma's Dress: 1950s Recreation

I found an old 1950s photograph of my Grandma, and I fell in love with her dress. So I decided to make my own! This is the first full-skirted dress I've ever made. It tookme quite a while to find a pattern that matched the style of the dress. I ended up using New Look pattern 6886. I paired the sweetheart neckline with the off-the-shoulder straps, a combination that was not shown on the pattern package. I did have some difficulty getting the straps to lay flat, which is probablywhy that particular combination was not shown. I also used the largest size for the skirt pattern and gathered it at the waist to add extra fullness.


I used the skirt pattern pieces from an authentic 1950s vintage dress pattern as a basis for the petticoat. Everything else from that point on was improvised. I wanted to make sure I could wear the petticoat with different length dresses so I created eight gathered ties to pull up the dress.

It has been so fun to make this dress in memory of my Grandma. I entered the dress in the SewStylish Dress to Impress contest, and it won first prize!
I didn't realize it at the time, but my Grandma passed away exactly five years ago to the month I made the dress. This one's for you, Grandma!

I wrote about the dress on my blog, the Unfinished Project Party blog.