Man Sewing

Happy New Year everyone!


I sewed a shirt for my husband for Christmas -  a Butterick pattern which I sewed up in a Rockabilly style (as opposed to a Western style!).






You can read the full story over at my blog, but in short I enjoyed making this shirt because:

  • There are no curves to negotiate which is a welcome change for me and makes things much easier!  I could cut this out in a morning, and have most of  it sewn up in a day.
  • I love topstitching
  • The creative scope from just one pattern, is quite infinite! There is an obvious 'formula' to making a man's shirt and so this pattern - now that I know it fits perfectly -  can be customised over and over and over with different details.  I can combine different fabrics, add piping, make different shaped yokes, different style pockets, add embroidery or transfers, make the sleeves shorter, change the cuffs, use buttons or poppers and many other details.
    This week i'll also be posting about collecting and sewing with vintage sewing machines, with links to information around the web, so stay tuned!