The Couture Technique Skirt

Lately, I've been wanting to take my sewing to the next level, so I purchased  The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Technique. After flipping through the beautifully photographed pages, I immediately started riffling through my stash to sew my first lined skirt. Lined skirt, yawn, I know, but this doesn't make me yawn at all. Not the way the author, Lynda Maynard showed her readers how to do it.

For the pattern, I used Simplicity 1690 from the 1950's.


And here is how my lining came out after using her couture instructions:

I even learned how to line a waistband with grossgrain ribbon to keep it from rolling on you.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to take their sewing up a notch.

You can read more about this and my other sewing projects on my blog A Few Threads Loose.