Vintage Sewing Notions...

I've had a lot of luck with vintage sewing notions recently. (Although not all of these buttons are vintage, alot are).  I had a good pick through the button box and haberdshery drawer at my local charity shop...
These cards of mending yarn really set me thinking about how little we can be bothered with the seemingly insignificant little things these days...
Look how fine that nylon is...
It got me thinking, rather wistfully, (sentimental saddo that I am!) about the time and effort that people used to spend on things that today we would not deem worth our time...


I picked up this whole tin of bias binding and hemming tape for £2 including the lovely old tin, along with various notions and bits of vintage lace trim that someone had saved to reuse. All wrapped up in neat little bundles...
I always find there's something incredibly evocative about finding another dressmaker's stash. It's a totally personal thing. As if you can see the person right there in the lace and pins...

http://portialawrie.blogspot.com/