Mother's Day Dress

My newly purged and re-organized sewing area has me feeling even more motivated to sew! I was struck with inspiration while in the shower yesterday (because that's where it always hits) and decided to take a day off from doll sewing and make something for myself. Everything I needed I already had in my stash:
Awesome fabric found among the fugly "silkies" at JoAnns + Simplicity 3708 from 1951 + vintage Luckyday buttons ("the talk of the town!") + Sewing Made Easy by Mary Roach for buttonhole advice and general encouragement.

I started cutting it out yesterday morning, and now it's DONE BABY DONE and it's not even lunchtime. Here I am trying to look haughty like the pattern ladies despite modeling it in my bathroom:
It darn near killed me to leave off the pockets when this pattern has such awesome ones, but the fabric doesn't have enough 'body' and I tend to overload my pockets (I have three kids) - they would probably sag and pull and ruin the nice lovely lines of the skirt. If I try this again in a nice firm cotton woven (hint: definitely) the pockets are a given.

Bound buttonholes!

This was a dress of 'firsts': first time doing bound buttonholes, first side zipper, first time machine-sewing an invisible zipper (the one on Betsy's dress was done by hand), first time putting in a zipper without crying. Like most Fifties dresses this pattern called for a self fabric belt, and while I have a huge stash of vintage belt kits, I decided to cheat and sew some red grosgrain over the waist seam (I also have a huge ribbon stash due to the doll sewing thing). It was quick and easy, and I love the little bow at the side.

Where is the zipper, anyway? It must be invisible! I am never going back to regular zips. And I can't wait to wear this dress to church on Mother's Day with red heels and some killer red lipstick.