Summer White 1940's Dress

I needed something white to wear to a picnic over the long weekend.   So, I pulled out Simplicity 3835
and it looked simple enough to put together quickly.  I was able to pull out some fabric from my stash and away I went.


I was not disappointed.  It came together very quickly: sewing time of about 3 hours.  The fabric is a very lightweight dotted swiss.  It was like sewing with cheese cloth.  I have approximately 8 yards of this stuff left and think I will need to dye it a different color.



Changes were made to the pattern.  An FBA had to occur.  I ditched the little bow at the neckline.  I thought it looked silly on me and I do not enjoy being strangled by a dress.  So, I added in the buttons up at the neckline.  I had already placed the buttons on the bodice; I just wanted to do something to break up all the white.

I will be making some additional changes to the pattern next time I make this dress and I assure you I will be making this again.  It is a perfect summer dress especially if made with a lightweight fabric.  Check out my blog for more photos and details on the making of this dress.