Retro Butterick 4790-the 1950's walk a way dress

If it was not for Katrina from Edelweiss pattern Blog I would not of sewn this ,but was interested in doing my first sew along .In fact she has the one she sewed  posted as well ,from a few days ago. A beautiful peach /floral rendition .It's amazing to see from the same pattern how many different versions can come out of it . I was on pattern review looking at a few as well . As katrina pointed out in her blog this is actually not the original pattern as Butterick altered it to what they figured would suit the modern taste better. Well I skipped the petticoat part of the tutorial ( sorry Katrina)  I am not a fan of puffy skirts , on myself though I agree thoroughly it looks better visually. For a wrap dress it still must be fitted properly to suit you ! I have seen other sewers complain that  they do not like it due to the fit . Initially I felt the same .One sew retro blogger complained that it on her list for the worst ever patterns , and posted an old picture of someone wearing what looks to be like the same dress.
My debate about that  is as a fashion student ,and yes I did take fashion design back in 1996 certain dresses are really meant to be on certain figure types and sizes then others . When I did  shows  I quickly learned about that  , in college .We had to do a few for various classes and productions for our diplomas .
When fitted properly , Katrina has proven this is a gorgeous wrap dress..despite some of  the bad rep it has been given by others. And "YES " , this dress fits better on me then my "judie " dressform !

my blog (shhh...I accidentally deleted my first so my blogging has found a new home )
The journal of Chicky Chickita