Loving my pattern collection


If I had one piece of advice to aspiring costume makers, it would be BUY PATTERNS!!  Doesn't matter if you think you will use it anytime soon or not.  If you like it and can afford it buy it.  My compulsion to buy patterns is really working in my favor right now.  I am a self taught seamstress and have had no formal sewing, draping or pattern making lessons.  This being the case I depend on my patterns. This has allowed me to piece things together, alter existing patterns and just some just for their general shape.

This is what I have been doing the last couple of days.  I found my perfect Dicken's fair inspiration dress.
http://www.antique-frock.com/earlyvictorian/products/dress102.html

I am in love this dress.  It is an acutal 1860 gown and being such, there is no specific pattern for this dress.  So, this is where my pattern collection comes in to play.  I am using 2 different patterns to piece together and create this dress.

I am using the jacket of this pattern, which i used for my Dicken's dress two years ago. ( I just realized I never posted that dress, guess I will have to soon!)  I will also be using the skirt for the over skirt section.  I like how this skirt isn't very gathered and will fall nice in front.  The back will be more gathered than the front to give the right shape.


Burda 7880


I will be using the skirt from this pattern for the under skirt the from will be pleated (not looking forward to this!)
Butterick 4954
I am currently working on the sketches for all the modifications I will be making to the patterns and the details of what need to be done.  Keep an eye out!

Read the original article at http://retro-phile.blogspot.com/2011/10/loving-my-pattern-collection.html
To read what else I have going on visit http://retro-phile.blogspot.com