Mail Order 1839

Here’s what I’ve been working on this week!


This sweet little cap blouse is from this mail order pattern “#1839″:


I must be getting old, because I can’t remember where I found this great little pattern! It’s a mail order pattern, and its without envelope so I have no idea its origin. There was an ebay auction of this pattern in another size with an envelope intact, and the return address was partially visible, showing “Idaho”. That’s all I’ve got as to pattern maker. :)

I love the lace-trimmed cap sleeve version, so that’s the view I chose to make. It was very easy to fit (the pattern was a bust 38). It needed a 3/4″ FBA, and some additional width at waist/hip.

I used lavender cotton eyelet, because it’s so fresh and summery and has a vintage feel. I also used cotton French laces, which would have been more readily available (and in domestic form most likely) during the 1940s.

I think this pattern probably dates to the later part of the 1940s because the skirt seems a bit full and long for early-mid 40s. If you’d like to see more pictures, I have a few more detail shots on my blog!