Cocktails on the Rio Grande

I am still cold from this! My fishing-widow best friend and I decided to use a fishing excursion to the Rio Grande to shoot the final version of Butterwick 5032.  I didn't have enough fabric to do the button front as planned, but I still really like it.

I folded out the skirt front tucks and turned them into darts instead - I loved the tucks on the pattern envelope, but on my body they emphasized the hell out of my somewhat rounded stomach.
 The bodice has a lot of adjustments.  I lowered the armholes and dramatically sloped the shoulders to allow for my crazily shaped back.  I lengthened the back skirt darts and took fabric in on the back waist seam (both at the skirt and bodice) to deal w/ sway back.
I love how the stripes work on the bust dart.  I was careful to make sure this effect 'mirrored' up.
 There are still some fitting issues, but since my new sewing / philosophy is "don't let perfect get in the way of done" I"m Ok with the various little wrinkles here and there.
 I drafted new facings to reflect the changes in the bodice, and then drafted lining pieces to work with the facings, for a more finished and refined end result.  I don't know why the back center lining doesn't work -I guess I made a mistake and cut the fabric on the seam line rather than the cutting line.  In my new spirit of 'make it work,' I futzed it and made it work.

I love the lining!  It gives the dress shape and heft.  It actually has a shape even on the hanger, which I really like!

Overall - a great pattern.  The end result isn't particularly vintage, but I'm really happy with it.  It's a fantastic pattern to build lots of different design details onto.
More pics of the fishing widow day trip and the dress at The Blog...