Hello!

Firstly an introduction. My name is Emma, and I've just started trying (!) to sew, having bought my first machine last week. My main reasons are both finding dresses that fit (is it true most fashion is designed for a B-cup?!) and loving vintage designs but not having the money to buy them. I live in London, which means I don't have the luxury of cheap fabric (that I know yet), and by day am editor of a music website called This Is Fake DIY.

I have decided to try Simplicity 3673 - the full skirted version - and have found that while using a smaller size on the skirt (I prefer my clothes fitted rather than with 'ease'), the gather on the bust looks awful, and is about an inch too short. Does anyone have a recommendation for how to tackle the gathering, and would altering the pattern as written in my Vogue sewing book work for the bodice, or am I best just lengthening it, as again, I like the fitted look.

Any suggestions would be great - I have enough to cut the bodice again, but just the once!