Butterick 3405 John Kloss Nightgown pattern

Butterick 3405, c. 1970s, Pattern Review
A John Kloss design for nightgown, or babydoll (for stretch knits only) and robe. The gown has high fitted and tied bodice, scoop neckline and flared skirt. The robe has fitted bodice with released pleats, standing collar, front button and loop closing, and full length sleeves.

I've always been attracted to the line drawings of the 70's Butterick designer patterns from John Kloss but never actually sewed one. That changed the other day when I tested the pattern by sewing the short nightie out of a hot pink cotton knit.

Super cute and super easy! Two hours start to finish, including cutting out the pattern and taking the photograph.

The skirt consists of four flared pieces and is attached to the self-lined bodice leaving a 2 inch opening at the center front. The bodice ties in front leaving a small keyhole opening between the bodice and the skirt. The pattern instructions call for slipstitching the inner bodice facing to the upper edge of the skirt, but I topstitched it in place.

Because my serger is still broken I hemmed the bottom edge - (which is a whopping 140 inches) - with a decorative overcast stitch on my sewing machine. I allowed the knit to stretch slightly which resulted in a rippled edge - similar to a lettuce hem.

It turned out cute and once the temperatures climb out of the below freezing range I'll consider wearing it!