Vintage Skirt

From this 1957 Simplicity pattern:



I made this skirt:



::Does anyone else feel weird taking pictures of a topless dress form, or is it just me?::

I used this fabric, which has an incredibly supple hand. The herringbone pattern refused to submit to the will of my camera, even with the added incentive of a nice, sunny day. Let me assure you that it's fabulous in real life.

Because of the fiber content, the fabric proved to be quite a challenge to sew. It went all wiggly and refused to be pinned in a straight line. In the end, I left off the pockets because I figured they would be limp as noodles and if I used any interfacing I was afraid it would show through. The zipper and waistband went in well, but I’m still not happy with the hem. Not that Joey will let you see it, but it’s rather bulky looking. There’s plenty of length, so I may cut it off and try a different hem treatment. This fabric doesn't like to be ironed - the nap flattens right out and the color changes. Hard to change my turn-it-up-all-the-way ironing habits.

All in all, I like it. Now I need some tall black boots and a knit wrap top.