Vintage 1957 Apron


I finally had a chance to finish something!!

I recently redid my kitchen chairs with home dec rooster fabric (My Honey's choice, not mine). There were about 2 yards left so I decided to make an apron.

I tried about 5 different patterns but none of them worked because of the directional layout of those darn roosters (did I mention that My Honey chose the rooster fabric?).

I finally found a pattern that would work--a cobbler style pattern that had been my great-grandmother's. I never saw her or my grandmother wear this style of apron but it had her writing on several pattern pieces.

This pattern was an "'instant' apron: Paper pattern is one piece for each fabric in each view; pin to fabric according to cutting layouts and cut instantly."

As I mentioned in my May 8th podcast, the pattern is designed to be laid on the open fabric. But, my great-grandmother laid the pieces on the fold (like, I did). But, and this is where we differed, instead of folding the pattern piece in half, she cut the piece down the middle!

This apron tested my bias tape application skills but I am pleased with the overall results:
You can access the podcasts at Grandma's Sewing Cabinet