I have been a sewing fiend




...these last couple of weeks. I finished another dress on Saturday, but am just now getting good pictures.

I made a few changes to this pattern: I installed side seam pockets, changed the collar shape, lengthened it, and omitted the top loop and button closure.

This pattern was very easy to follow and went together pretty quickly. I really love the fabric that the collar and loops are made out of. It is a South African fabric that my preacher's wife gave me a few scraps of (they are from South Africa). I had been waiting for an appropriate use for it, and when I found the tan fabric at Goodwill for $0.59, and realized it matched perfectly, and that I had vintage buttons that also matched perfectly, I was champing at the bit to get started.

I definitely plan to make this dress again. It's a great everyday dress. The only thing I will change in future version is to tighten up the button loops a little - they tend to come undone, although it isn't much of a problem as it does not cause gaping. There is a snap behind the top button, to keep wardrobe mishaps at bay.

Without the contrast collar and buttons, I think this tan fabric would be too bland for me. The other drawback is that it is polyester, and doesn't breath. But in a cotton, this would be the perfect summer dress.
Another pic and more discussion on my blog.