Retro-Inspired

This isn't exactly a retro dress. It's certainly not from a retro pattern. I don't have the pattern numbers (of course), but I combined a McCalls bodice and a NewLook bottom to create this dress. (You can at least see pictures of the two patterns used here at my blog.)

The bodice is from a shirt-dress pattern. Since I opted to only have three buttons, I added a zipper to the right side seam. It's hard to tell, but the skirt has four pleats in front and back for fullness.

The facing was a b*tch to put on it. Something about it combined with the collar; it was very poorly drafted. While I am absolutely thrilled with how this dress turned out, if I make it again, I will be modifying either the collar, the facing, or both.

In my defense, I do believe the buttons are vintage. Again, hard to see in the pictures, but they are white, with red trim.




ETA: I've add construction details and such here on my blog.