Vintage Necktie Purse

In my spare time I when I'm not processing orders for my company
I  altered a graduation robe for my son for Halloween.  He wants to be Darth Sidious- add a hood to a graduation robe - one Sith costume to go :) 
For the holiday fair for my son's school I am sewing purses from vintage ties. 



Inside view 

I have to make about 25 of them for the fair.  They are pretty quick to make. (about an hour). I got the ties from tag sales over the summer and added vintage buttons.   I have a giant box of ties sorted by color.  The challenge is come up with something that isn't completely hideous, and that a pre-teen might like.  It uses half of a tie for the purse.  I use one of the spare tie halves for the shoulder strap.  I think it looks cute with jeans!

To make this purse you need a minimum of 3 ties.  I either use the narrow end pieces from other ties, or the narrow ends of the tie to fill make it a little wider.  One half tie is used for the shoulder strap. I use a wide zig zag stitch to join them and slightly overlap them when I'm sewing them.  You can sew them with invisible thread or a complementary thread color.
Vintage ties tend to sell for $.50 - $2 depending on what your thrift store wants to sell them for.  I bought a GIANT box lot of them on ebay for this project.  Better yet, ask your Dad, Husband, and Grandpa for their old ties.  

I'm created an etsy page to sell them.