1950's--1960's red dress



This is a work-in-progress from a pattern I am making for a floor length gown that basically has a nice neckline and waistline elastic casing...I think it was sort of influeced by Angelina Jolies style of dresses for red carpet appearences. I love the lightness of his fabric it's so light and airy and lovely.

Charmeuse in light grey--I took my boyfriend into spotlight when I was buying fabric and as i was going to make a nice rich red gown he helped me pick this colour out...once again back to fairly neautral colours but I think it'll be more flattering/simple.

link to photo of pattern Butterick 2907



This is Butterick quick and easy 2907 it's a shift dress with a cowl neck and a back zipper.

I made it in red doule knit as i wanted to brghten my beige wardrobe. I forgot to lengthen the dress so it was too short for me to feel comfortable in so I added a strip down the bottom that adds length.

Another mistake I made was using cotton instead of interfacing...as my nearest and ONLY fabric/craft shop is 40 minutes drive away (and I don't drive) I just used cotton sewed into the collar..... yeah whoops.

but i'm really happy with the knit fabric...i actually barely own anything stretchy in my wardrobe because i really distrust this type of fabric.(shows up my pouchy belly etc. etc.)


but I will use it again very soon.

oh and i took it in 1" all the way on both side seams (including arms) i nearly cried when i basted together to start off with it was horribly sack-like...yeah whoops

ok over and out.

happy sewing :-)

allison,

Wayward sewing
(Blog)