Seeing the light



If you sew retro patterns you will have come across what I am about to describe on a regular basis - the treasure you found is not in your size and/or there's a piece missing. Both happened on this pattern.

First up technically speaking there was not a piece missing. The previous owner had made an attempt to replace the lost piece by drafting a new one: one that didn't fit the shoulder, the facing, the sleeve hole or the front yoke piece. I had to abandon it and redraft - my new piece is underneath so you can see in places it's nearly an inch out! Ouch!



It was also technically my size - but of course in 1973 a 14 had smaller waist measurements - a fact I forgot when making my alterations but was rudely reminded of on my first fitting. Thank goodness for side seams that can be let out, and centre fronts that can be turned into vents.

I was also reminded of the fact that back in the early 70's interfacing was not as lavishly used as it is today and un -interfaced facings are facings that do not stay put. I had to go back and top stitch the collar and front facings to encourage them to sit flat. Mental note to self: interface facings and under collars. Always.

I was tossing up whether to make the matching plaid pants. I went shopping but nothing inspired. Second mental note to self: when you start to look as old as your patterns you're too old to pull off retro irony.