New member - with a party dress!

Hello! My name's Meg and I discovered Sew Retro just a few months ago... have been reading every day since and enjoying everyone's posts extremely!

November's almost over (and I hope everyone will forgive me for introducing myself with a competition entry) but my first retro-project ever happens to have been a party dress, so I thought I'd post it here.

This was made with Simplicity 1539 (click for a larger view, if you'd like):


Vintage Pattern - Simplicity


I used some leftover rose-printed ivory brocade (which was quite difficult to work with as it likes to fray) to make this kimono-sleeved, princess-waisted, full skirted little party dress. I had to elongate the bodice by two inches, as I always do since my torso is so long, but other than that I didn't make many modifications. I'm pleased with it, though I think now I should have widened the bottommost hip measurement a bit since I have a little waist and big hips. Also, I think I've decided that kimono-style sleeves are not my favorite, as they cause fabric to pucker annoyingly when one's arms are down. :P Still, it turned out pretty:


50's Party Dress - Front

And from the back:

50's Party Dress - Back


I also realized, after I finished it, that I would need a crinoline for it to really look right. Searched Ebay, but didn't want to pay $40+ for one, so I ended up getting some tulle and making one myself. :P Turned out just about right for everyday wear... not full to the point of being silly, but full enough to be swishy and pretty. I'll save pics of the crinoline itself, though, for another entry!

Thank you all so much for posting all of your projects and providing so much lovely inspiration every day! :)

*~Merry~*