Me Made June Day One: A 40's housedress





Today is the first day of the Me Made June Challenge I signed up for on SoZo. This is going to be interesting for me as I much prefer showing photos of my daughters in outfits than of myself.  You will be seeing my mug a lot in the next month since I have pledged to wear and document a hand sewn item everyday for the month of June. I thought I would show off this vintage pattern I made from Simplicity 2171 from 1947 in a cotton swiss dot for my first day on the challenge. I got the fabric for free as it was leftover from a play I costumed and I thought I would try it with the 1940's housedress pattern above. It wasn't an easy pattern to make, that's for sure. These old patterns are a lot more complicated than patterns today and it's been years since I've made something with a collar! I added an invisible zipper instead of a placket and the dress ties into a sweet bow in the back. To tell you the truth I feel like I'm wearing a nurse costume when I wear this! I'm not so sure I'm sold on it. It will be used what it was designed for, a a housedress. It will probably be a big hit at the conservative Catholic school my kids attend though! Now that I'm looking at the photos it's growing on me. 
Actually I think I love it now.. 
To read my history of the humble house dress post click here. To see all the entries in the Me Made June Flickr group click here.