Cherries Jubilee


The majority of the clothing I have made would qualify as “special occasion” attire.  But I never let the fact that people might think I am overdressed keep me from wearing a dress that makes me feel fantastic.  It turns out, I get more smiles from people and even a few doors opened for me.  Sure, some people stare or ask if I am wearing a costume, but it does not detract from the joy that wearing these clothes brings to me.


I have recently come to the conclusion that saving these special garments for a special occasion is silly.  If wearing a great dress will improve my mood, why not wear one every day?

My cherry dress does not get a lot of use because I feel that I should save it for a special occasion.  However, I am determined to change all of that.  If it is not a full on ball gown, and if it jumps out at me from the closet, I am going to put it on and enjoy wearing it!


This dress was made using Butterick 4792, another vintage reproduction (I told you I am addicted!).


The petticoat ruffle that gets attached to the lining of the skirt is one of my favorite parts.  In fact, I used the skirt and netting pattern pieces to make a stand alone petticoat for the other full-skirted garments I have made.  Instead of gathering all the way around the waist, the gathers are pushed to the sides, leaving the center front and back flat.

The pattern is surprisingly easy to put together.  I love the bodice and neckline details and may have to use them with a pencil skirt at some point.


More information and pictures may be found over at my blog.