My August Project

I'm not quite ready for Fall to arrive yet so I'm making a short sleeved dress, the reason it is 'next season' for me is because the bust size is 1 inch smaller than I am at the moment, I'm 2 inches smaller than when I started loosing weight so hopefully soon I can go down another inch and fit this dress!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The pattern is a housedress from the 40's, I really love the neckline and the big pocket, it just looks very comfortable and easy to wear. I choose a darker colour for the next season and I will be trying to find a pattern to knit a simple black cotton cardigan to wear over this and my other dresses to get more wear from them.

The instructions are a little bit scary:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've never worked from a drawing like that before, hopefully I can figure it out!

Does anyone else find that vintage patterns expect you to be a more experienced sewer than modern ones do? There just seems to be a lot more to do in them, added steps which actually make a better garment but are skipped in today's construction, of course I can't think of an example off the top of my head! I just find them that bit more challenging which is both exciting and scary all at the same time!

I have a couple of other things I want to sew first, one of which is a vintage pattern too, but I will get this dress made by the end of the month, promise!

Anna