New sewer

Hi, I'm Simone and I'm new to the blog. I avoided it for a while because it gave me more inspiration than my skills could handle! But I've just taken two short community college sewing courses and have improved a lot! I'm really into late 50s and early 60s stuff. I have a lot of full skirts in my wardrobe and want more fitted stuff, but my hips are quite disproportionate to my wee bust, so the best way to get around this is to make my own clothes!

I've been making purses for the last year since I got my machine which has been good practice. Here is my first effort to make something I really, really want to wear! I bought this McCall's pattern on eBay and made it as part of the intermediate sewing course. I didn't do much in the class but cut the fabric. I did the rest at home without help which I'm proud of!

I am very fortunate to work for a fabric designer who make a lot of a amazing retro prints so I have access to a lot of great fabric. It really inspires me to make stuff!

Here's the pattern and the dress I made. It's perfect for a trip to the Emerald City. I made the dress on the right and am currently working on the matching jacket. You can read about it and my other stuff in more detail at my blog, Look What I Knit!