It may be late but I did finish...

More than a year ago, I claimed to be making a retro inspired dress using a Target tablecloth as fabric. Well, I finally finished it last week. It feels good to be done...but it doesn't fit!

Well, it fit when I cut it out (a year ago). It fit when I attached the bodice lining (months ago). It just doesn't fit me now. Throughout this stressing summer, I lost weight. I was shocked at how much. And for me that's not a good thing. However, I am not taking the dress in. I will get my weight up once I find a job and no longer freak out about how much food costs.

the back

My dress just doesn't look as cute as it should. So even though I finished it, I'm not happy. It's loose overall which isn't that bad until you come to the waist. My waist comes in much more than that and I want the 50's New Look silhouette that is the dress design. I will be buying a petticoat soon, however, in the meantime, maybe a belt will help? They show one on the pattern.

So, I will be on the lookout for satin-like ribbon 2 in or more wide, something you just don't find at JoAnne's or Hancocks anymore. Maybe grosgrain instead?

I also have this retro McCall's pattern from 1966. This top just needs to be hemmed a little longer than shown. I looked forward to making this pattern. I thought it was simple and I could whip out dresses and tops from it all summer long. However, I'm having fitting problems with this as well. It just seems to be drafted really big, regardless of my weight loss. The sleeves were longer than pictured, I had to cut off about 2 inches. After easing the sleeves in, they are actually puffy.

I promise next time I sew anything where fit is a major part of its design, I will make a muslin. That will be extremely hard for me because I am an impatient seamstress. But if it eliminates this frustration, then I will do it.