ooobop! vintage sheet dress

I found this vintage sheet in Oxfam at least 7 years ago and it has been awaiting its destiny ever since. I got a huge amount of satisfaction from its transformation. I used a Burda pattern from issue 2/2011, for the bodice and gathered rectangles (a bit wider than suggested) for for skirt. There is an inseam pocket on the left and an invisible zip on the right . . . spot the deliberate mistake!
You can also download a copy of the pattern here for $5.40.

vintage sheet dress side

ooobop! vintage sheet dress side

I love the feel of this old cotton and the shape of the dress. Its far more flattering than I thought it might be and I wore it to my friends’ barbecue on Sunday when we had a long overdue burst of sunshine.

vintage sheet dress at barbecue

ooobop! vintage sheet dress at the barbecue . . . cheers!

The bodice is lined with polycotton, cut on the bias and sewn applying this all-in-one method. Its taken me a few goes to get to grips with this technique but I feel confident about doing it now and it gives a really neat finish. The lining is turned under and hand sewn to the zipper tape and the seam where the bodice meets the skirt. I machine-hemmed the skirt with a 2 inch hem. I normally take the time to hand finish my hems but there was quite a lot of skirt in this case and time was of essence!

I think this is a strong contender for my vintage outfit next weekend. Oh… did I tell you that I was off to the Southbank’s Vintage Festival next weekend? I am sooo excited. Is any one else coming? I will be sure to be posting on this one so brace yourself for a whole heap of photos!

Thank you for popping by
Janene at ooobop!